Thursday, April 15, 2010

Touch

Humans are dominant over other species on this planet because of many things, but the biggest reason is probably that fact that we can communicate through language to directly convey our messages. Our ability to emit audible sound which our brains can process into understandable thought alone allows us to literally dominate the natural world unlike any other species on this planet.

But for me, there is one other thing that we can utilize to convey messages that are so deep, no spoken word or phrase can match it...the touch.

A simple grasp of your loved one's hand, a touch on the cheek, a gentle caress, or even the involuntary placing of a loved one's hand over yours, all convey a plethora of different messages and emotions. And nothing is more powerful.

A single touch from the one you love can bring joy, security, relaxation, warmth, and an overwhelming sense of peace that slowly fills your entire being. I once had an experience where I was wide awake and just couldn't sleep even though it was already late in the night. My loved one told me to lay my head down on the pillow and all she did was gently and slowly stroke my forehead with her thumb. I didn't even realize that I fell asleep until I woke up the next day feeling like I slept for days. That's the peace that only a genuine loving touch can give.

So, if you happen to read this, go to that person you love now, hold both his or her hands for a few seconds, look him or her in the eye, and give him or her a really big, long and gentle hug and a kiss on the forehead. No need to utter a single syllable because nothing else says "I LOVE YOU" better than that.





No comments:

Post a Comment