Thursday, April 22, 2010

Contentment


Yesterday night, I met up with a good friend who has a small retail business here in the city. Since it's been a while since we last saw each other, there were so many stories to tell and we didn't waste time in finding a place where we could hang.

He began telling me how his business was losing money and that his usual customers were no longer buying as much as they used to. His earnings were now cut to almost a third of what he used to get from just a year ago. But the thing is, I never saw an ounce of concern or worry in his eyes while he was telling me about it. So I asked him why.

He said, "Bro, it's just a matter of perspective.". I couldn't understand what he was trying to say at first. I was curious to find out because I knew that that shop was his only source of income. That was the time he took his mobile phone from his pocket and showed me some pictures.

Pictures of him clowning around with his two kids, photos of him in a tight bear hug with his wife, and a particularly touching photo of him kissing his wife which his kids took. Then he goes, "Bro, that's the reason why I'm not losing hope. I know the whatever happens, He will provide. I'm content with that.".

Wow. Here's a man with an entire family counting on him for survival and yet he has so much faith that the Lord will provide. He also told me that because of his business, he's right there to see his kids grow, to go out on regular dates with his wife, and to have family dinner dates where they eat, drink and have fun together. He feels blessed that he's able to provide and at the same time fulfill his obligations as a husband and a father. Then I understood.

Contentment is never measured by the things you have outside, it's all about what you feel inside. Here we are fussing endlessly about stuff like work complaints, failed relationships, lack of money and all the other superficial things around us when in the grand scheme of things, none of these actually matter.

Family, friends, health, your relationship with God...these things are the essentials in life. In my opinion, this is where we should direct our energies to. Nurture and cherish our family and friends, try to stay healthy and let God take over the reigns. And the next time things look bleak and life seems like it's going on a downward spiral, let's pause and look around. It may not be as bad as we think.

It all depends on how we choose to see it.


1 comment:

  1. i agree!!:), be happy on what we have and what we experience right now..and be thankful we got a chance to see the real creation of God...enjoy life!!:)

    ReplyDelete